This thread cannot be ignored!!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:41 pm

I think most everyone who plays music in MP3 format who has internet access - especially high speed access - has probably downloaded music through Kazaa at some point to some extent.

At one time, I downloaded music before I really gave it much thought. Then, I stopped and uninstalled Kazaa and every other file-sharing program I had.

For me, it wasn't just that it was illegal - it bothered me that I wasn't really supporting the bands I like listening to. There are lots of reasons why it's important to buy the music rather than freeload.

It sounds like some of us are rationalizing why they think it's okay to steal music. It doesn't really matter what your reasons are, or how you try to legitimize it - it's still wrong, and it's stealing, and you're hurting the artist(s) in multiple ways.

I've heard some people justify having an affair by saying they believe that God wants them to be happy.

There's no right way to do the wrong thing, friends.
Last edited by LexingtonPethead on Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:49 pm

Speaking of MP3s, how I use them is when I BUY MY MUSIC, I rip the original CD into MusicMatch and burn copies using a DFX plugin which, essentially, remasters the copy and makes it sound significantly better than the original.

Not only do I get a better sounding CD, but my originals stay in mint condition, never touched, never played (except for ripping).

So I just play my copies. If one breaks, or if I lose one, I just burn another. In this way, the MP3 is truly revolutionary in a constructive and legal way.
0 x

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:02 am

LexingtonPethead wrote:Speaking of MP3s, how I use them is when I BUY MY MUSIC, I rip the original CD into MusicMatch and burn copies using a DFX plugin which, essentially, remasters the copy and makes it sound significantly better than the original.

Not only do I get a better sounding CD, but my originals stay in mint condition, never touched, never played (except for ripping).

So I just play my copies. If one breaks, or if I lose one, I just burn another. In this way, the MP3 is truly revolutionary in a constructive and legal way.
How do you burn with that plugin. From what I've read it only is used to enahance playback.
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Schrodyr
Pethead
Pethead

When downloading music hits home...

Post by Schrodyr » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:22 pm

I play the piano alot (thus the name Schrodyr, derived from the Peanut's character), and I recorded an album a few years back. It was nothing special, just my keyboard hooked up to my computer, but I put quite a bit of work into it. I basically sold it to friends and co-workers for $10. I remember taking a copy to work one time, and a lady said to me, "Hey, can I borrow that? I want to copy it onto my computer so I can listen to it anytime." At first I was kinda upset that she wanted to simply copy it when I was trying to make some extra cash. I went ahead and gave it to her, but it really made me think about downloading music instead of buying it, and how the artists feel when they get ripped off (no pun intended).

I'm sure everyone here would feel the same way.
0 x
...the one I feed is the one who lives...

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: When downloading music hits home...

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:32 pm

Schrodyr wrote:I play the piano alot (thus the name Schrodyr, derived from the Peanut's character), and I recorded an album a few years back. It was nothing special, just my keyboard hooked up to my computer, but I put quite a bit of work into it. I basically sold it to friends and co-workers for $10. I remember taking a copy to work one time, and a lady said to me, "Hey, can I borrow that? I want to copy it onto my computer so I can listen to it anytime." At first I was kinda upset that she wanted to simply copy it when I was trying to make some extra cash. I went ahead and gave it to her, but it really made me think about downloading music instead of buying it, and how the artists feel when they get ripped off (no pun intended).

I'm sure everyone here would feel the same way.
Actually no I personally dont agree with you, nor share the same view. If I was given musical talent. I would be using the talent to Glorify Jesus . All the hard work wouldnt be used to line my pockets. It would be used to Lift Him up and work for Him. I know without a doubt that God would take care of my needs.

In Christ
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:57 pm

You might see that in a different light if you were in a band and that was your main source of income amigo. Would you go to work and not expect to be paid?

Then there's still the fact it's illegal...Is it glorifying God to break the law? Think about it.
0 x

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: ....

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:09 pm

Shell wrote:You might see that in a different light if you were in a band and that was your main source of income amigo. Would you go to work and not expect to be paid?

Then there's still the fact it's illegal...Is it glorifying God to break the law? Think about it.
No I wouldnt see it differently amigo. If I'm doing Gods work and answering his call, Jesus will take care of me. God will make sure I'm taken care of..

As far as thinking about it , breaking the law. I dont think God sees it that way to be honest with you. Knowing what I know of him. For me it wouldnt be about the money, it would be about God.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:23 pm

Define Jesus taking care of you. Wouldn't that include trusting that the people who listen to your music would support you by buying your CD honestly? And why would you think breaking the law wouldn't be wrong in God's eyes?

And it should be amiga with an a for a gal. :wink:
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm

PetfanInCt wrote:As far as thinking about it , breaking the law. I dont think God sees it that way to be honest with you. Knowing what I know of him. For me it wouldnt be about the money, it would be about God.
This statement reminds me of the example I gave of someone justifying an extramarital affair by saying they believed God wanted them to be happy.

I'll say it again... there's no right way to do the wrong thing.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Shell wrote:Define Jesus taking care of you. Wouldn't that include trusting that the people who listen to your music would support you by buying your CD honestly? And why would you think breaking the law wouldn't be wrong in God's eyes?

Excellent resonse, Shell. That is exactly right.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm

PetfanInCt wrote:
LexingtonPethead wrote:Speaking of MP3s, how I use them is when I BUY MY MUSIC, I rip the original CD into MusicMatch and burn copies using a DFX plugin which, essentially, remasters the copy and makes it sound significantly better than the original.

How do you burn with that plugin. From what I've read it only is used to enahance playback.
In the CD burning module, you need to check mark the boxes that instruct Musicmatch to encode digital enhancements. There are 2 places for this. One of them is, I believe, under the MP3 tab. It shouldn't be difficult to find.

You need to have MusicMatch Plus in order to do this. I don't know what version of MusicMatch you're using, but I doubt if you can do it using the free basic version.

Let me know if you can't find the right tabs. I'll throw a blank CD in there are burn something so I can tell you the exact settings.

Your copies will knock your socks off using just a very basic player.
0 x

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:04 pm

LexingtonPethead wrote:
Shell wrote:Define Jesus taking care of you. Wouldn't that include trusting that the people who listen to your music would support you by buying your CD honestly? And why would you think breaking the law wouldn't be wrong in God's eyes?

Excellent resonse, Shell. That is exactly right.
It doesnt matter how many mp3's are downloaded. Jesus will make sure the artist is adequetly funded according to his will....

and that would mean that Jesus would make sure enough products are sold if the artist is doing Gods will

God is above any amount of downloading.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:25 pm

PetfanInCt wrote: It doesnt matter how many mp3's are downloaded. Jesus will make sure the artist is adequetly funded according to his will....

and that would mean that Jesus would make sure enough products are sold if the artist is doing Gods will

I agree that God is above any amount of downloading. But God also teaches us to obey laws. And He clearly teaches that a minister of the Gospel is worth his pay.

You can rationalize freeloading all you want. It's flat-out wrong, and it's against the law. Worst of all, it hurts those who are out there ministering.

Would you walk up to Bob Hartman and ask him if you could borrow his Petra collection to rip to your computer?
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Horrors.

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:31 pm

David, please, don't give anybody any ideas, LOL. Of course, Bob would probably just say no. :lol:
0 x

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:51 pm

LexingtonPethead wrote:
PetfanInCt wrote: It doesnt matter how many mp3's are downloaded. Jesus will make sure the artist is adequetly funded according to his will....

I agree that God is above any amount of downloading. But God also teaches us to obey laws. And He clearly teaches that a minister of the Gospel is worth his pay.

You can rationalize freeloading all you want. It's flat-out wrong, and it's against the law. Worst of all, it hurts those who are out there ministering.

Would you walk up to Bob Hartman and ask him if you could borrow his Petra collection to rip to your computer?
Dave

God wants us to obey his lawd. He doesnt want us to be slave to mans law

It doesnt hurt Petra or they're ministry they have been doing this for 30 years. Even with the file sharing going on Jekyll and Hyde is still selling and they are on a big tour...John is still asking for altar calls to the stage and bringing youth to Christ....They are still selling albums. New believers and fans are springing up all the time.

If Bob came up to me. I would only ask to borrow The one album I want but dont have yet and that is Beat The System. Why do you assume he would say no..Its not his collection anyway :) Its God's collection :)

I pray for Petra and the members of Petra. The prayers help there ministry..

Godbless

InChrist
0 x