Musical Influences

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Musical Influences

Post by PetfanInCt » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:57 pm

Can anyone here tell me both past and present who have been Petras musical influences, both Christian and secular.
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

RE:

Post by pmal » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:37 am

If you listen the ZJam live radio concert that I believe is archived on johnwschlitt.com, there is a question asked by a caller towards the end and each current member I think answers this. Bob said there was no Christian influence but he mentioned the Beatles as being a secular influence. Paul Simmons said Deep Purple was one of his, and Greg Bailey said his influence was Petra.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: RE:

Post by PetfanInCt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:52 pm

pmal wrote:If you listen the ZJam live radio concert that I believe is archived on johnwschlitt.com, there is a question asked by a caller towards the end and each current member I think answers this. Bob said there was no Christian influence but he mentioned the Beatles as being a secular influence. Paul Simmons said Deep Purple was one of his, and Greg Bailey said his influence was Petra.
Beatles yikes. They had songs about Hinduism and songs about Harry Krisner <-- spelling. I can understand the secular influences with artists before they became born again.

A friend of mine said they saw a video with petra in it with some interviews. In the interview some of the members of Petra said they still listen to secular music. and are still influenced by it. Wouldnt that be an unclean influence musically. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. If this is an off the wall I wont mention it..I just get concerned when Christian bands have secular influences..Why Would a Christian be influenced by a influence that was not walking with Jesus.

IN Christ
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:15 pm

We've been down the secular music debate road before, LOL. :) Music itself isn't intrinsically evil. And the secular artists aren't the only ones out there not living godly lives; Christians fall into that trap too. I remember hearing an interview where Bob said they didn't listen to secular music just to listen to it, but to get an idea of different styles and what was out there. I would think they've been Christians long enough to not be influenced by it, and by that I mean the lifestyle.

I love the Beatles. And the Kinks, Pretenders, Journey...I could go on, but I don't want to seem like I'm too much of a heathen. :D
0 x

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: ....

Post by PetfanInCt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Shell wrote:We've been down the secular music debate road before, LOL. :) Music itself isn't intrinsically evil. And the secular artists aren't the only ones out there not living godly lives; Christians fall into that trap too. I remember hearing an interview where Bob said they didn't listen to secular music just to listen to it, but to get an idea of different styles and what was out there. I would think they've been Christians long enough to not be influenced by it, and by that I mean the lifestyle.

I love the Beatles. And the Kinks, Pretenders, Journey...I could go on, but I don't want to seem like I'm too much of a heathen. :D
I dont think your a heathen. I dont share the same taste in secular music. I try and stay away from secular as much as I can...I choose for myself to listen to just Christian music....Only because I dont like the message in secular music. I just prefer to listen to music for the LORD and about the Bible...

In Christ

Godbless to everyone here
0 x

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Secular Music

Post by lucianotaz » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:22 pm

Should we watch only chrstian channels ?

Should we only have christian friends ?

Should we only use things invented by christian persons ?

If the aswers of the quentions above were NO.

Why we should listen to only christian music ?
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Secular Music

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:38 pm

lucianotaz wrote:Should we watch only chrstian channels ?

Should we only have christian friends ?

Should we only use things invented by christian persons ?

If the aswers of the quentions above were NO.

Why we should listen to only christian music ?

This is a good point; however, many people listen exclusively to Christian music, as I do, simply because there is no reason to listen to secular music.

None whatsoever.

I get Air1 throughout the Lexington area crystal-clear for miles (a Christian pop-rock / hard-rock network). I like what I hear, they constantly add new music to the playlist, and they flat-out rock.

Others may not be as fortunate to have Air1 and have to settle for softer Christian formats if they can stomach it, so I understand why they graze on secular rock. Sometimes you just want the radio on instead of a CD.

All types of media sources affect our attitudes as well as our spiritual lives. Such as TV shows, movies and the like. Christians should set boundaries for what they find acceptable and stay within those boundaries.
0 x

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Christian Music Today

Post by lucianotaz » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:48 am

I would like to listen to only christian bands, the only problem is that in my opinion the current CCM is poor today.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Christian Music Today

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:01 am

lucianotaz wrote:I would like to listen to only christian bands, the only problem is that in my opinion the current CCM is poor today.
Here's the solution:

1. Go to Air1's website: www.air1.com

2. Find the listen area that allows you to stream Air1 through your computer.

3. If you have a high-speed connection, the transmission will be better.

4. If you support Air1 financially, you can get a code that allows a high-speed stream, and it sounds like CD quality. I don't know how you'd go about solving the currency problem, though, since you are from Brazil. There might be a way if you pursue it.

Good luck.
0 x

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:45 pm

My opinion is that generally Christian and secular music today stinks. I can't stand most mainstream stuff.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: ....

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:50 pm

ErioL wrote:My opinion is that generally Christian and secular music today stinks. I can't stand most mainstream stuff.
That's too bad. Actually, I'm turning 40 this year, and I'm finding most of the Christian "new rock" to be very, very good to excellent.

I'm old enough to remember how it was when all there was on Christian radio was all the sappy, cheesy, make-believe contemporary crap and none of the good stuff ever got any airplay.

And sometimes, even the good stuff wasn't really that good.

Now more than ever, there is so much to choose from in Christian rock.
0 x