A Very Special Christmas Present... from Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:31 am

The thing is, rumors don't create a happening. They're rumors and nothing more. Of course people would like to see the configuration of 'the hey day' but fact is -- it's hard enough to get the 4 guys together again, to practice, to perform, etc., much less reincarnate the ones from 20 years ago who have all moved on to other jobs and other places in life.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 am

7-16-2010 Hills Alive Festival; Rapid City, SD.

Two words...ROAD TRIP! This would be so cool! Plus it gives me seven months to save up the money for tickets, gas, etc.

And to the folks complaining about it being the FAREWELL line-up...better this line-up than no Petra at all!
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:45 pm

I know this is a dream, but it would be great if they decided to record a new CD. With new songs and use these shows to promote the new material.
Bob probably have some songs. Days before the official news about the band retirement, there were rumors about a possible new album.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:36 pm

HudsonPethead wrote:I know this is a dream, but it would be great if they decided to record a new CD. With new songs and use these shows to promote the new material.
Bob probably have some songs. Days before the official news about the band retirement, there were rumors about a possible new album.
When I saw Petra at Shoutfest 2004, Bob did say from the stage they were working on new material and most of the songs were ready to go. Thats why when He announced two months later they were done I was in total shock. There is songs and music out there, just need to put them together.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 pm

executioner wrote:
HudsonPethead wrote:I know this is a dream, but it would be great if they decided to record a new CD. With new songs and use these shows to promote the new material.
When I saw Petra at Shoutfest 2004, Bob did say from the stage they were working on new material and most of the songs were ready to go. Thats why when He announced two months later they were done I was in total shock. There is songs and music out there, just need to put them together.
That would be awesome, I so want to hear these songs!
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:43 pm

sue d. wrote:"Not what the people want?" Like Jon said - What do they want?

For these two dates the line up is:

John
Bob
Greg
Paul is subject to availability, depending on his other band dates

There may be more dates... all depends on who puts in an offer.

If you want to see Petra at more fests and such - contact the organizers and let them know Petra is available on a limited basis.
The people want Louie, Ronnie and John Lawry. THAT is what the people want. Since Louie will never happen, Paul is ok. He just needs to tame the double kicking all over everything. Ronnie would do it if asked. I know cause I did ask.
0 x
People are returning to God by leaving the church.

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Why? So 150 people could buy it? Nah. Let the memories live on. Let their legacy be that they went out sounding good. Look how big of a success J&H was. It wasn't.
0 x

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Sounds awesome! If I were you Sue I would check out lifefestnc.com and contact the guys over that and see if Petra can make it next year. Stryper was there this time and it was amazing!
0 x
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/emjpro/EMJProductions.jpg[/img]

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 pm

Edward wrote:
Why? So 150 people could buy it? Nah. Let the memories live on. Let their legacy be that they went out sounding good. Look how big of a success J&H was. It wasn't.
Didn't J&H sell 50,000 copies? How well did VE sell?
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:35 am

corolla1 wrote:
Edward wrote:
VE did not do well compared to a Petra record. It did ok for being all indie with basic grass roots marketing. Way under 10k, maybe way under 5k sounds closer. Maybe Sue knows. They have a bunch of em' left last I heard. J&H did 50k? Really? I would be surprised.
0 x

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:27 pm

Edward wrote:
corolla1 wrote:
Edward wrote:
VE did not do well compared to a Petra record. It did ok for being all indie with basic grass roots marketing. Way under 10k, maybe way under 5k sounds closer. Maybe Sue knows. They have a bunch of em' left last I heard. J&H did 50k? Really? I would be surprised.
I thought Josh from petrarocksmyworld.com mentioned on a post that Petra sold 40K of Revival and 40-45k of J&H. He would have to clarify that of course. I may be mistaken, it was a few years ago.
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm

It would take someone from the band or someone from the label to state actual units sold. There is a difference between units shipped, which is usually the larger number, and the unit sold. Def Leppard had an album that reached Platinum on shipped units, but had over 100k units returned. Soundscan is not a reliable source any more. Especially for smaller labels that are practically indie. That said, I know that Josh had access to those people and his numbers were probably spot on at that time. 50K is actually quite good for anyone that is not a superstar with a marketing and publicity machine behind the product.

Some interesting trends have popped up. The highest grossing tours from 2008-2009 were tours attracting the 30+ year olds. The youth tours drew more people, but far less revenue and profit. They are like fast food restaurants in that regard. The top tours were Dave Mathews, Celine, etc.

We have all been told (incorrectly) that CDs are dead. They are not. The LABELS CDs sales have been soft, but indie CD sales have been going UP. We have also seen TWO INDIES sell over 500k CDs in two weeks. Why? The artists had true talent, there was no manufactured/fake performance, and the people interested were the 30+ year olds that make money.

The economy is poor. Student and youth unemployment is at an all time high. So, if the people 30+ and over have access to GOOD music, they WILL pay for it, as has been demonstrated this past year.

I said all of that to say that Petra could still be selling their current catalog if it was marketed correctly. I think that they could still be selling 40k to 50k units per year for a while. While for a while? There is a historical cut-off for people. There is an age at which people shift gears and change priorities, almost ceasing listening to music for recreation.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:49 am

I think the line-up most people would like is:

John Schlitt AND Greg X Volz, singing some songs each and together on some songs maybe...

Bob Hartman

Louie Weaver

Ronny Cates (or Mark Kelly)

John Lawry (or John Slick)
0 x

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Edward wrote:It would take someone from the band or someone from the label to state actual units sold. There is a difference between units shipped, which is usually the larger number, and the unit sold. Def Leppard had an album that reached Platinum on shipped units, but had over 100k units returned. Soundscan is not a reliable source any more. Especially for smaller labels that are practically indie. That said, I know that Josh had access to those people and his numbers were probably spot on at that time. 50K is actually quite good for anyone that is not a superstar with a marketing and publicity machine behind the product.

Some interesting trends have popped up. The highest grossing tours from 2008-2009 were tours attracting the 30+ year olds. The youth tours drew more people, but far less revenue and profit. They are like fast food restaurants in that regard. The top tours were Dave Mathews, Celine, etc.

We have all been told (incorrectly) that CDs are dead. They are not. The LABELS CDs sales have been soft, but indie CD sales have been going UP. We have also seen TWO INDIES sell over 500k CDs in two weeks. Why? The artists had true talent, there was no manufactured/fake performance, and the people interested were the 30+ year olds that make money.

The economy is poor. Student and youth unemployment is at an all time high. So, if the people 30+ and over have access to GOOD music, they WILL pay for it, as has been demonstrated this past year.

I said all of that to say that Petra could still be selling their current catalog if it was marketed correctly. I think that they could still be selling 40k to 50k units per year for a while. While for a while? There is a historical cut-off for people. There is an age at which people shift gears and change priorities, almost ceasing listening to music for recreation.
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the insight that both you and brent offer regarding the music industry. I agree that Petra could still be successful selling their current catalog especially if they continue to play some. I wonder if remastering their old albums and thus making them sound better would help?
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:32 pm

I'd be delighted to see John, Paul, Geo...-er...Greg and Bob, were they to play somewhere in Michigansk.

But I understand the desire to see John-Bob-John-Ronny-Louie.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."