i love alot of the old musicals
0 x
thank you fore riting to me have a good day remeber that Jesus lovs you

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

El Hombre de The Spot

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:48 am

I can't say I am familiar with a lot of musicals, but back in high school I played trombone in the "pit orchestras" for a community production of Cabaret and a high school drama production of Man of La Mancha (Don Quijote). I had fun being involved, and I think the music is well-written.

For Cabaret, the band dressed up in sleazy costumes like you would see at a burlesque house in the 20's or 30's. The guys wore these really cool black hats - the kind that men typically wore back then. I'm not sure what they are called. They look kind of like cowboy hats, but a little smaller. We also took a small role in the acting - in the celebration scene at the end of Act I, we clinked wine glasses and pretended to drink wine (which was actually Kool-Aid). For La Mancha the band didn't have to dress up because the audience couldn't see us.

Though the one setback was that from where I sat, I did not have a good view of the actors, so I was unable to really experience the plays. Mostly I could only hear what they were saying, and it got annoying just listening to the same scripts over and over again when I really wanted to watch the acting from the audience's view.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Re: musicals

Post by jimmye4563 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:57 pm

tinasattler wrote:do anney of you have favret musicals
i do
i love my fair ladey i love cats the musical i love sound of musick
i love alot of the old musicals
I like My Fair Lady, but, my favorite is Oklahoma!. I also like The Music Man; Carousel and The Sound Of Music.
The "old" musicals are my favorites, but, of the what I call the "newer" musicals Grease(the movie) is my favorite. My two girls just "love" that movie.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

ano eiga wa subarashikatta desu! (that movie was excellent)

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 am

OH, OH, OH!!! I forgot I also watched the movie West Side Story!! That was excellent! Wanna watch it again!! My high school marching band played West Side Story songs my junior year. We played Maria, Officer Krupke, Tonight, Somewhere, and parts of Cool.

My second older brother also played a role in a musical. When he was a senior in high school, the drama performed The Music Man for the spring play. At the very end of the play, the marching band guest-performed (thou I don't remember what songs they played) and was in it on the trumpet. This was before I was in high school, though.

By the way, he lost interest in playing the trumpet, and since it was still laying around, I decided to start playing it myself. So for the last couple years I've been learning to play trumpet. The music is hard to read since it looks a whole step higher than it sounds. (for instance, trumpet music written out in the key of C is actually played in the key of B-flat. Many of you probably don't know what I'm talking about.) Because of that, it's hard for me to read. It's like reading tenor clef and transposing up an octave, subtracting two sharps. (Again, some of you are totall confused.)

But I enjoy confusing you guys.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:31 pm

I enjoyed The Little Mermaid.

"A Whole New World" brought my house down. So epic.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

El Rey Le�n / O Rei Le�o

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 pm

A lot of animated films are kinda like musicals, I think. I know that The Lion King and Prince of Egypt are two animated films in which the characters broke into song from time to time. I'm sure there are many more.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:01 pm

In general the only ones I really love have Gene Kelly in them. Singing in the Rain is my especial fave.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 pm

I just remembered Paint Your Wagon. In the movie they let Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood sing. At least Clint can carry a tune and has a "not too terrible" singing voice.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:55 am

I really liked Grease 2.

Ok, maybe I didn't. In fact, I hated it. Despised it. Loathed it. Made me want to hurl.

But I must say I did like the original Grease.

Ok, maybe I didn't. In fact, I hated it. Despised it. Loathed it. Made me want to hurl.

The thing I like about some musicals is this. Whenever I'm with a gang of people and we're about to rumble, we first break out with a song and dance.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:48 pm

My brother and I watched Grease 2 so many times when we were kids that we can still recite dialogue from it.

"All 300 pounds of it!"

Hey we were little. Kids have no shame.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm

Yes, unfortunately I had a sister who thought both of those movies were pretty good when I was a kid. I saw them too many times (once was really enough for me). I suffered mental illness many many years because of those two movies. I start to twitch just thinking about them now.
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

who's in the mood for sauerkraut??

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:24 pm

charl wrote:My brother and I watched Grease 2 so many times when we were kids that we can still recite dialogue from it.
Well, I can recite most of the lyrics from Weird Al's song Albuquerque.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

tinasattler777
Pethead
Pethead

Re: El Hombre de The Spot

Post by tinasattler777 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:42 am

yamasaaaki har har wrote:I can't say I am familiar with a lot of musicals, but back in high school I played trombone in the "pit orchestras" for a community production of Cabaret and a high school drama production of Man of La Mancha (Don Quijote). I had fun being involved, and I think the music is well-written.

For Cabaret, the band dressed up in sleazy costumes like you would see at a burlesque house in the 20's or 30's. The guys wore these really cool black hats - the kind that men typically wore back then. I'm not sure what they are called. They look kind of like cowboy hats, but a little smaller. We also took a small role in the acting - in the celebration scene at the end of Act I, we clinked wine glasses and pretended to drink wine (which was actually Kool-Aid). For La Mancha the band didn't have to dress up because the audience couldn't see us.

Though the one setback was that from where I sat, I did not have a good view of the actors, so I was unable to really experience the plays. Mostly I could only hear what they were saying, and it got annoying just listening to the same scripts over and over again when I really wanted to watch the acting from the audience's view.
i have never seen cabaray i wil never go to see it not my type of mmusical i have never seen the other one eather
0 x
may the lord bles you love tina

tinasattler777
Pethead
Pethead

hi jimey

Post by tinasattler777 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 am

jimmye4563 wrote:I just remembered Paint Your Wagon. In the movie they let Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood sing. At least Clint can carry a tune and has a "not too terrible" singing voice.
hi jimey i have never seen that one good to see you in the stryper forum also
0 x

tinasattler777
Pethead
Pethead

me to

Post by tinasattler777 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:48 am

Jonathan wrote:I enjoyed The Little Mermaid.

"A Whole New World" brought my house down. So epic.
i do to :) i love all the disneey movies
0 x