Movie: Fireproof

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Movie: Fireproof

Post by spottacus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:02 pm

I didn't want to go. I'll be honest. But my wife had heard about this movie from some friends at MOPS (Mothers of Pre Schoolers) and wanted to see it.

The more I learned about it the more skeptical I became. The main character is played by Kirk Cameron, it's a low-budget film, most of the actors are novices...I was hoping it would be good but I was not confident. Frankly, I didn't think it would be any good, but I agreed to go because it was important to my wife and I wanted to spend some time alone with her.

Here's the surprise: Fireproof is a very good film. It isn't perfect, but the production is of a very high quality and the story is compelling. And the acting...bad acting has been the death of many spiritually-oriented projects. Well the acting, I'm happy to report, is surprisingly good. I was especially pleased and impressed by the performance of Ken Bevel, who plays Michael Simmons (perhaps the most important supporting character in the film).

So here it is: go see Fireproof. Men, surprise your wives. Women, bring your husbands. It's a good story with good production and pretty good acting. Guys, you might not be glad to go, but you'll be glad you went!

http://fireproofthemovie.com/
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Considering that church is making these movies with all volunteer actors (or novices), tech crew, etc, I'd say that they have a great ministry going there, and that the quality stands on it's own. I think the message is most important and timely.
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 am

Here's a fun little something: ABC News has an article about the film on their website: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Sto ... 016&page=1
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: ...

Post by brent » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:26 am

Matthew RJ wrote:As long as it's not as hokey as Facing the Giants. That was blatant health-and-wealth prosperity Gospel. For example:

- New Truck? please, why not fix the truck?
- 2 kids? why not adopt?
- Win state? why not play a good game and be satisfied with a good effort(see Friday night Lights, one of the best football movies)

I like this review of Facing the Giants:
Facing the Giants is the cinematic equivalent of Contemporary Christian Music, bland nonsense meant to make Christians feel good and thereby bring in a steady stream of money from a highly defined market segment, what is known in the entertainment business as a cash cow.
http://churchofthemasses.blogspot.com/2 ... iants.html
That was not a properity message. There was no manipulation of speaking things into existance with the "force" of faith.

I know plenty of people that are living miracles. God got their attention, the people came to, and then thing began working for them. What about Job. I suppose that his story is a name-it and claim-it tale? What about the apostles? They got more than they left behind to work for Jesus. People are a bit put off and unsettled by the prosperity message. But they should not thow any blessing from God out the window with unsound doctrines.

BTW, the church that made that is a baptist church, and IT'S JUST A MOVIE.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:47 pm

The old testiment is full of stories/miracles like that. People were too old, barren, etc. They had babies. Joshua had no major hardware or armies. Walls fell for him. Cities fell. Danial was an old man in the lions den. He walked away.

This is the problem, and I consider myself to be in and part of it. The problem is that we who know that the WOF movement is of the devil. We then get a little stand-offish when it comes to miracles and blessings. Miracles are not the norm, and unmanipulated blessings are hard to verify.

But again I say to you, regardless of what that blogger has posted, miracles can happen to people. God can do whatever he wants to bring about his purpose. There is also biblical support for miracles and blessings bestowed on unbelievers. So while this story is fiction, none of it is true or said to be applicable to anyone else, I don't see the WOF connection.

WOF people say that if you say and do X, Y and Z = ABC will be the result, because God doesn't lie and he is bound by his word, and we are little gods just like him, and if he can speak creation with words, then we can too, etc, etc. There was none of that in the movie. There was no formula. Faith was not described as a tangible force ala Kenneth
Dopeland.

Re: the shack. That is different. That story changes who Jesus is, what Jesus did and what our relationship is to him. The movie does not change Jesus.

I agree. There are nutjobs behind every denomoinational pulpit. I was just sayin...
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: ...

Post by separateunion » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:53 am

Matthew RJ wrote:As long as it's not as hokey as Facing the Giants. That was blatant health-and-wealth prosperity Gospel.
Matthew RJ wrote:I'm not saying facing the giants is part of WOF movement
o.O
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:30 pm

prosperity message = wof movement
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 pm

You will not believe the inaccuracies in All Dogs Go to Heaven.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: WOF

Post by separateunion » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:50 am

Matthew RJ wrote:I didn't realize WOF had a corner on the prosperity message. I'm so glad it hasn't infected any other parts of the Church.
I could be wrong, but I've always had the impression that they kinda went hand in hand.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:56 pm

You guys make me sorry I even started the topic.

Good movie. Worth seeing. End of story.
0 x

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:03 am

Come on, Ben. I do plan on seeing it tomorrow. Goin' with the fam. Looking forward to it. I've learned to seek out the opinion of believers in cases like this, rather than critics, who don't/won't get it.

I'm sure the woman who housed Elijah (1 Ki. 17) appreciated multiple miracles from God when, first of all, she was granted a son, and then later when he died, that he was restored to life. Nowhere did I think God was going overboard, and that story was a blessing to read. Just saying. I'm trying to release my cynicism about God.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 am

So tell us YOUR impression of the movie, Jon.

I rented Facing the Giants after a number of people told me how good it was. I don't know... it was a good film, but it was also a bit corny at times in the sense that there were some real stereotypes in there. For one - the guy getting down on his hands and knees and kneeling beside the bed, praying with folded hands.

Nothing WRONG with that, but very stereotypical. I don't know ANYONE who kneels beside their bed.

It's been a while since I saw it, but there were alot of word cliches as well.

All in all it was an OK movie.
0 x

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:47 pm

This is my 1000th post. Thank you.

Yeah, it was alright. Not that memorable, but a decent flick that is what it is, and probably won't impress the film geeks out there, but it doesn't try and it doesn't have to.

Here's a pretty fair assessment that I more or less fall in line with...

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/m ... 004166.cfm
0 x

misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

MatthewRJ's thinking of Facing the Giants

Post by misterbob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am

Matthew RJ wrote: - New Truck? please, why not fix the truck?
- 2 kids? why not adopt?
- Win state? why not play a good game and be satisfied with a good effort(see Friday night Lights, one of the best football movies)
MatthewRJ, I don't think I can disagree with you any more on this topic. What is the harm in show a scenario where everything goes right? You are condemning the writers of the script for making a decision to show all positive results. You can certainly say that you would have preferred that they had taken a different route but a great many people enjoyed Facing the Giants because it showed how great God can be if someone simply asks for His favor. I cannot imagine anyone going to that film and believing that they can ask and get the same results but what's wrong with folks believing that they can ask and God may choose to bless them in that same manner?

SueD, you made a comment about praying on his knees by his bedside. I can name at least three people in my life who do this every night...one of which is me. I agree that it's a bit "sterotypical" but I think this falls in line with my comments above. The scriptwriter chose to portray these characters in this manner for a reason.
0 x
Sign of the Times: Prisons are Crowded...Churches are Not