I need help with something

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
superfly
Pethead
Pethead

I need help with something

Post by superfly » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:58 am

I have a cassette tape that I want to put onto a CD. I have a computer with a CD burner and a boombox with an audio line out. My computer has a mic-in and 3 usb ports. How can I go about putting the contents of the cassette on my computer and then burning it on a cd in a format that will play on a regular cd player? Thanks in advance!!
Peace!
0 x

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

Conversion

Post by RockMe » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:23 am

Well, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to go to Radio Shack and get an adapter that will allow you to plug the boom box into the mic in jack. Then you can record the cassette as a wave file (or more preferably, several wave files) and burn those onto CD.

The main drawback there is that microphone jacks are often mono, so you will probably lose the stereo effects on the tape. Does your computer not have a line in jack? That's very unusual for it not to have that. If it does, use that instead of the mic jack. Line in would be stereo.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Thanks RockMe!

Post by superfly » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:42 pm

I'll have to check about the line-in jack, though the tape is in mono anyway...it's a recording from a regular tape-recorder of my 4 year old when she was a baby. How exactly do I record it as a WAV file when hooked up? My sound recorder (windows XP) only records 60 seconds at a time. Is there another device/program in Windows that will record from the mic/line-in? Thanks!! :)
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:30 pm

Get a 420-2551 from Radio Shack, its about $6.99.
The mic jack on your computer quite possibly is stereo, if not ask Radio shack for a stereo to mono converter and it will record to the left and right channels.
As far as software goes, you can try using the software I suggest on my website for transfering the ZJAM to WAV/ CD.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

I'm trying the Rosoft thing...

Post by superfly » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:06 pm

I downloaded RoSoft and tried practicing on the ZJAM thing, I pressed the record button on Rosoft and Play on the RealPlayer and heard the ZJAM file play. It appeared to be recording because the SIZE and TIME bars below the player buttons were moving/counting. However, the two bars in the RoSoft window didn't fluctuate as if hearing anything, and then when I went back to listen to it after a few minutes of recording, there was absolute silence. It seems that it just wasn't picking up the RealPlayer playing the file. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:07 am

I guess I have kind of the same problem on my computer. I'm not much into recording audio-stuff on computers, but it could have something to do with your sound-card. Someone told me that my soundcard wasn't able to process two actions (playing the input and recording it) at the same time. I've tried it before with several recording-programs and I got the same result as what you are describing.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:46 pm

Strange about your recordings. Maybe you need to check you volume from the toolbar to see if its set high enough. if you cant get anything let me know and I can Email you some of the songs. My email addy is posted on my site.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

thanks PetraPraise...

Post by superfly » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:08 am

Thanks for the posts guys! I finally got the RoSoft to record when I'm playing back something (I tested on the Zjam), but when I play it back through MediaPlayer or another Windows program, I have to turn the volume on the computer all the way up and still can barely hear anything, though I can tell it's what I recorded. I must be missing something still. Thanks again!
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

bump

Post by superfly » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:22 am

Any ideas? :roll:
0 x