A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

TV and the next 5 years...

Post by Dan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:46 pm

My wife and I just got a house, and we're seriously thinking of not having cable/satellite or any other type of traditional TV services.

Things like, netflix & Hulu etc are all we need. So if get a mega Internet connection that should cover it.

Is anyone else finding that this has become an option that is steadily more viable & convenient? Is traditional TV coming to slow death?
0 x

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Re: TV and the next 5 years...

Post by ErioL » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:54 am

It could be. Now with my bluray player I have youtube, hulu, netflix and some other apps as well that I access via WIFI. I live with my padres still but I think when I make the jump and move out I will forego purchasing cable. I'll have a tv and player I'm sure, but TV is seeming less and less interesting when theres so much "On demand" stuff now.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Things sure are changing with technology quickly.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Broadcast TV has probably outlived its usefulness, given the internet's ubiquity and accessibility.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 am

I wonder if it's becoming harder and harder to watch TV as a Christian. Between the shows themselves, the ads for other shows and the ads for products, there's very little on TV today I want to teach my daughters to emulate. We stick to classic TV shows on DVD and don't really miss how much time TV used to suck away from us when we had DISH Network.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 am

Broadcast TV has probably outlived its usefulness, given the internet's ubiquity and accessibility.
Not if the majority of things you watch are sports and news. I have little use for most broadcast series, but I can't get NASCAR, the NFL, college basketball or Fox News online.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 am

The commercials are pushing the boundaries, and are so boring... the Gieko & Progressive commercials killer boring.

having said all this I got cable transfered all in the name of Novellas...
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 am

calicowriter wrote:
Not if the majority of things you watch are sports and news. I have little use for most broadcast series, but I can't get NASCAR, the NFL, college basketball or Fox News online.
Bridget where have you been!?
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 am

I could get by without cable, so many of the TV shows I like are out on DVD now. What I do watch on cable consists mostly of reruns of my favorite shows.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 am

Daniel wrote:
calicowriter wrote:
Bridget where have you been!?
I'm with you, Bridget. If I were to spend extra, I'd get the NASCAR equivalent of NFL Sunday Ticket or whatever package is available...for me it's baseball, and one year of MLB.com video is cheaper than most packages for the run of the season. Then I can stream it to TV.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I work nights, so I hardly ever watch TV as it is. Plus, 95% of what's on is crap anyway.

To save money, I cut down my expanded cable down to basic cable close to a year ago.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:15 pm

calicowriter wrote:
I don't know about news, but sports are starting to move online. You can buy NHL and MLB packages to watch the games on your computer, and if you find the right sites, you can watch just about any sports event being streamed live from someone's TV. I usually watch NFL games on my computer because I'm not in a market that usually shows the team I root for.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by rexreed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 am

IMO you still need to wire your house for at least a little broadcast tv or cable. Streaming video still does not lookas good as broadcast. Also, People that watch shows on DVD usually have to wait until the end of the season and then they either purchase the DVD's or subscribe to a service, which still cost money. If there is ever a catastrophe in the making you might want to keep yourself informed using a local broadcasters programming. That won't work if you watch everything through netflix or if the internet is out. Besides, TV is still free and there are more channels than ever now that they have gone digital.
0 x