A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

new Stryper review

Post by executioner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Anyone have any reviews and thoughts on Murder By Pride? Here are my thoughts. I was and have been waiting for this latest release by Stryper, and the first couple of weeks of listens the CD was really good, but now when I listen to it, it seems just average to me. The First 2 songs are really strong musically, but 4 Leaf Cover seems kind of bubble gum pop lyrically too me. Peace of Mind is a good song and they put a good twist on an old favorite. I really like the next 3 tracks and feel like they are the strongest on the CD, but after that the CD seems to really fall off. The second half just seems to be another Michael Sweet solo project. Overall I give Stryper a 5 out of10 on this. It really doesn't seem like anything new from them and when they try and bring in the old style which made them a fan favorite they just seem to lack the bite Stryper is known for. BTW I put this same review up over @ thestryperforums.com and have since been banned from posting over there, which is really lame and unfair.
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Re: new Stryper review

Post by Edward » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:03 pm

executioner wrote:Anyone have any reviews and thoughts on Murder By Pride? Here are my thoughts. I was and have been waiting for this latest release by Stryper, and the first couple of weeks of listens the CD was really good, but now when I listen to it, it seems just average to me. The First 2 songs are really strong musically, but 4 Leaf Cover seems kind of bubble gum pop lyrically too me. Peace of Mind is a good song and they put a good twist on an old favorite. I really like the next 3 tracks and feel like they are the strongest on the CD, but after that the CD seems to really fall off. The second half just seems to be another Michael Sweet solo project. Overall I give Stryper a 5 out of10 on this. It really doesn't seem like anything new from them and when they try and bring in the old style which made them a fan favorite they just seem to lack the bite Stryper is known for. BTW I put this same review up over @ thestryperforums.com and have since been banned from posting over there, which is really lame and unfair.
Lame. Waste of $9 at Walmart. The Reborn has a better top end. The bass and drums are distorted. The songs lack electricity. It just sounds like another Michael Sweet solo record to me. It's time to quit.

The solo on Peace of Mind wanders at the beginning and I do not like Stryper's punk garage band approach to it. A true tribute captures the vibe and they totally took all of the groove and swing out ot it. Sucked!
0 x
People are returning to God by leaving the church.

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 pm

I'd like to hear the songs that didn't make it. I agree that the production on some of the songs isn't that great; the drums in particular. The snare sounds like an average recording of a mediocre drum on several songs. Michael's last solo album was much better sonically. I like the songs, and would rate the whole package of songs higher than Reborn. However, lame snare aside, Reborn is a more consistent recording.
Some of the tracks sound blown out on my Ipod. A good headset can handle them, but you can still tell they won't work on a cheaper system.
I also wonder would the quality be different had Robert played drums on the project and had a say in the final outcome, and used a different kit or at least tuned the kit to his liking.
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:46 pm

A agree about the songs falling apart on iTunes playing back on my iPod and the iMac. When I was playing the somgs that I imported from the CD, I thought that track 1 was imported as a 128kbps MP3. Then I realized it was the CD, because I imported it as wav files. Then I checked the CD again.

Robert is a one trick pony drummer. I personally do not like his clickety-clickety kick sound. Thie kick on this record was mixed with some low end in it and it was punchy down there.

All of that has to do with the engineering on the tracking, mixing and mastering side. This record is probably mostly the fault of the mix and mastering engineers. Why? Because Kenny records with HIS kit and HIS mics. He has a Shure endorsement. Kenny records for many, MANY artists in the Top100 at any given time. So it's ain't the drummer.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Edward wrote:Because Kenny records with HIS kit and HIS mics. He has a Shure endorsement. Kenny records for many, MANY artists in the Top100 at any given time. So it's ain't the drummer.
Exactly. If it had been Robert, perhaps it would have been a different kit and different mics. You are right though that the mix and master guys get some of the blame. I didn't read over the liner notes to see who did what.
It's my impression that Michael and friends, mostly, were responsible for his 2nd and 3rd solo discs, which were done way better. Especially the 2nd one.
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:50 pm

I've met Kenny and experienced his kit/set-up in action. Kenny is NOT the weak link. He uses the same kit and mics almost always. Nobody else seems to have a problem with it. Of course, he records with better engineers and producers than Stryper could afford to use at this point in their career. They didn't pay a big name engineer $5k to 10k per single and it sounds like it.

In retrospect, I was rather harsh. It is growing on me. "I Believe" is a very nice, lush, Michael Sweet solo tune. There are some other Strper elements that pop through on the tunes. There are a couple of departures from the the tired Stryper or Michael Sweet formulas. I prefer those most.

Most fans will like and support whatever Stryper does. That is a good thing for them. They need all of the help that they can get on their side of the hill.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

well...

Post by gman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:06 pm

You are right that Kenny is not the weak link as far as quality. Even if the quality were better though, it might not sound quite like whatever kit Robert would use. The main thing is that it would be more like Stryper with Robert's interpretation. Especially on a song like Love Is Why. I could hear some two handed 16ths on the high hat for the intro and leading into the chorus, some slamming ride bell on the chorus, some additional bass drum, and more Robert like fills.
All the songs have grown on me. There's isn't one that I don't care for. My only problem is that it's like listening to your favorite band after they get a new drummer that doesn't play like the original drummer that was there for years and years. l
0 x

microkoe
Pethead
Pethead

StryperTube

Post by microkoe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:35 am

Kenny Rocks! Management had me start a youtube channel for Stryper. you can catch current tour footage from fans, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/strypertube
0 x
Michael D Koehler

http://www.myspace.com/pianokoehler